I write, publish and perform work about our ecology, specifically our relationship with the ocean: through poems, artistbooks and immersive walks.
I run workshops to deepen my practice and share with others the value and intrinsic role of creativity in our lives.
My blog, below, reveals more about my creative practice and influences.Echo Soundings
- Towards a StrandingIt is perhaps no surprise that my first project after submitting 40000 words of literary theory / criticism and a creative portfolio that made up my phd thesis is a book of illegible scribble, paper cut ups with an audio soundtrack that is more sound than spoken word. Above is the first page of eight […]
- SwallowLike many others self-isolating during the Covid19 pandemic who have found themselves in far more (temporal) space then they're used I've been faddling and dibbling in and out of my usual activities, sometimes able to do them (write) and sometimes feeling exhausted by the attempt. Just before I went into social distancing mode I was […]
- Listening to the UnseenWith thanks to the NWCDTP I'm off to Svalbard in June (via - appropriately - some Marine Transgression in Bristol). I'm not sure when I first heard the name Svalbard (only in existence since the 1920s when the archipelago came under Norwegian sovereignty), but in some sense it feels like my body has known it […]
- On flying and its contrailsThe trip was everything and nothing I'd imagined. You can read about what we got up to here. This post is more about where I've been in the weeks since returning.My return flight to Longyearbyen Svalbard from Manchester UK was, apparently, equal in its carbon emissions to one person’s yearly output in India (a per […]
- Sea of Whiteness, as GlacierAfter much faffing, scalpeling, glueing, sewing and thinking I've made this book / glacier / poem. It began life onboard the SS Antigua alongisde Bloomstrandbreen in Svalbard waters, and is being set afloat in the world from my corner of Morecambe Bay. I've already written much about the process, and just want to add how […]