I write, publish and perform work about our ecology and personal and social histories: through poems, artistbooks and immersive walks. My current focus is our relationship with the sea.
I share my practice so others can see, feel and understand the value and intrinsic role of creativity in our lives.
My blog, below, reveals more about my creative practice and influences.Echo Soundings
- What the real prize isIt was my last class last night before the summer break begins: two months of thinking about the books and bindings I've stitched and glued and what I might use them for. With a stonkingly stimulating class a week many of us felt there hasn't been the time to think how we might put to […]
- seeing the seaThese are my first ever two-colour lino cuts. My first - last week's single colour - of a minke whale - did not work well enough to share beyond the workshop, so this week I decided to move to the other end of the oceanic spectrum: phytoplankton. A few drops of seawater contains about a million […]
- Screenprinting the oceanI laid out the poem a fortnight ago for it to be set into a screen prior to last night's class, so I was already at one remove from it. It's a poem I wrote at the Manchester Art Gallery last year, in response to a drawing by Hondartza Fraga. We were to make several […]
- Mermaids and other consciousnessThis is a trace monoprint. Before yesterday I didn't know such things existed. We were introduced to it at the Hot Bed Press class as a simple way of making edition images. I was skeptical, I'm not an image maker and because of the process any text would have be written backwards. Now I love […]
- On testing what I don't knowThis is phase one of an artistbook of a diatom chain. I'm not sure how it'll develop, beyond the folds and spots. I have a poem I could put in it, but have yet to establish how it’ll spread across the folds and if it is the right poem. I have a week to decide. As it […]