I write, publish and perform work about our ecology and personal and social histories: through poems, artistbooks and immersive walks. My current focus is our relationship with the sea.
I share my practice so others can see, feel and understand the value and intrinsic role of creativity in our lives.
My blog, below, reveals more about my creative practice and influences.Echo Soundings
- Mapping the lines of a glacierThe beginnings of a new book. They seem to be losing words. The octobook didn't have so many. Recovery was more space than text; and this one - as it stands - even more so. I think in part it is the subject matter: what words would be contained in the map of a glacier? […]
- On flying and its contrailsThe trip was everything and nothing I'd imagined. You can read about what we got up to here. This post is more about where I've been in the weeks since returning.My return flight to Longyearbyen Svalbard from Manchester UK was, apparently, equal in its carbon emissions to one person’s yearly output in India (a per […]
- Listening to the UnseenWith thanks to the NWCDTP I'm off to Svalbard in June (via - appropriately - some Marine Transgression in Bristol). I'm not sure when I first heard the name Svalbard (only in existence since the 1920s when the archipelago came under Norwegian sovereignty), but in some sense it feels like my body has known it […]
- Introducing the OctobookSeveral weeks before Blue Planet II hit our screens the Octobook was gestating. A very different beast from my previous artistbooks it plays between physical, image and text equally, celebrating that most extraordinary of creatures, the octopus, or perhaps, rather than celebrating it, the book might be said to be envying or maybe even emulating […]
- Budget tallyOf course I welcome the possibility of a tax on single use plastic in the forthcoming budget; and while for this budget the term 'single use' includes "packaging, bubble wrap, and polystyrene takeaway boxes", it does not include plastic drinks bottles which may be subject to a 'return and reward scheme'. Hooray.On my beach clean […]