I write, publish and perform work about our ecology and personal and social histories: through poems, artistbooks and immersive walks. My current focus is our relationship with the sea.
I share my practice so others can see, feel and understand the value and intrinsic role of creativity in our lives.
My blog, below, reveals more about my creative practice and influences.Echo Soundings
- Fking UpFor the past couple of weeks we've been working towards a hardback book, collating things to photocopy onto various pages and then stitching them into signatures adding a spine, covers and fretting about uniformity. Except of course these aren't about being neat and regular. The pages are a mix of blank white paper and coloured […]
- an immense or boundless expanse of something..according to the OED, also "(hyperbolically): a very great or indefinite quantity". And, look, all those vowels too. Vowels are how we personalise a word. We pronounce consonants similarly, but vowels, in any language I suspect, are open to how our breath passes through us. We were playing with letterpress last night at Hot Bed Press, […]
- Fold upon fold upon foldAs part of Lancaster Words Festival, artist Sally Slade Payne and myself ran a writing and book-making workshop on plankton for 7-10 year olds (and their adult). It's been a while since I've worked with that age group and I'd forgotten just how much fun and zeal there is to be had. Everyone pitched in […]
- What the real prize isIt was my last class last night before the summer break begins: two months of thinking about the books and bindings I've stitched and glued and what I might use them for. With a stonkingly stimulating class a week many of us felt there hasn't been the time to think how we might put to […]
- seeing the seaThese are my first ever two-colour lino cuts. My first - last week's single colour - of a minke whale - did not work well enough to share beyond the workshop, so this week I decided to move to the other end of the oceanic spectrum: phytoplankton. A few drops of seawater contains about a million […]